Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Supplements

I finally had enough data to determine what supplements I need. Until this point, I'd been taking a one-a-day women's multivitamin as well as a 600mg calcium + 400 IU vitamin D tablet. I don't know why calcium is so necessary if milk is unnatural, except that we don't eat the same weeds we used to nor the bones of our creatures, so we need a substitute. There're debates on the functionality of supplements, but I've noticed a distinct difference since taking the calcium, even when I drank milk (menstrual cramps are less, and I don't burn as much in the sun) that I'm not about to give it up.

However, I think I'm way overdoing the supplements with the multivitamin. Not counting the calcium and vitamin D, I get 90% of my RDA for vitamins and minerals, overall. 100% RDA of Vitamin A (which is fat soluble, and quite easy to overdose on) in addition to the 100-400% I get every day in my diet just doesn't seem necessary. However, there are a few things I am consistently low on - such as iron, potassium (though the RDA here is iffy), folate, Vitamin E, magnesium, zinc... So logically it'd be best to just take those items separately. Magnesium is often paired with calcium for better absorption, sometimes with zinc too, so I just need to get a calcium pill with magnesium next time. I've seen iron come with folic acid, and vitamin E is often sold on its own. I guess I'll be taking a bunch of pills instead of one handy multi, but it's probably better than overdosing.

The hardest thing is finding one that suits my needs. So many put massive amounts of the stuff I don't need in what would otherwise be a great product. I'll let you know what I end up with. TTFN!

No comments:

Post a Comment